There’s more great news from our Youth Girls team with Mel and team mate Bella being selected in the 2018 State Schoolgirls U15’s team, and to top it off 2 of their team mates Kyle and Mae have also been selected in the 15’s development squad. This is just a wonderful story for Female Football at Coolbinia and we are so proud of all our Girls teams.
Melisha (Mel) has been playing football for about 3 years, initially starting out in the Boys competition. She began playing for Coolbinia Youth Girls in 2017 and was a key part of the Bombers first Youth Girls Premiership that year. In 2017 Mel topped off the season with a wonderful personal achievement taking out the Central Conference competition Best & Fairest Award.
Bella has been playing football for about 6 years, She joined Coolbinia Youth Girls in 2016 at which time the Team only consisted of 10 girls. None the less the girls persisted and with her Dad Gary coaching in 2017 Bella and her teammates went undefeated to claim the first Youth Girls Premiership for the club.
As part of the build up to the National Championships the State Schoolgirls U15 team were invited to play the Curtain raiser at Optus Stadium prior to the Fremantle V St Kilda game. The Girls knew a lot of faces that day but none more so than Coolbinia Bombers team mate Saira who was for this game on the opposing side representing the State U16’s team. For the record the School Girls 15’s took out the game.
- Who is your favourite AFLW player? Kellie Gibson
- Who is your favourite AFL player? Nic Naitanui
- What AFL team do you follow? West Coast Eagles
- When did you start playing Footy? 2012
- When did you start playing for Coolbinia? 2016
- What is your favourite position on the field? Centre half forward
- Why do you like playing football? Physical aspects, team sport, the game itself, marking and kicking.
- What other Sports do you play? Basketball – playing WABL level last year and continuing at domestic level now.
- Anything else about yourself that you want to share with us? Love my dog Jett, favourite basketball teams Perth Wildcats & Cleveland Cavs.
- When and where are the U15’s Schoolgirls playing this year? The State 15s Female AFL National Carnival will be held in Adelaide, South Australia in July.
- Favourite AFLW player? Ellie Blackburn (Western Bulldogs) – a premiership and centre player.
- Favourite AFL player? Lachie Neale (Fremantle) – another centre player.
- Your Favourite position?…you guessed it centre.
- What do you like best about playing football? Being with friends, winning games and kicking goals. (Coaches note: Mel once kicked 8 goals in 2 quarters from CHF!)
- What else can you tell us about yourself? I also played basketball for the Morley Rockets.
Good luck for your future Mel, Kyle, Mae and Bella from everyone at the club Congratulations on a great personal achievement we hope there are many more to come.
Photos: Phil Barnes Photography
Categorised in: News
This post was written by Coolbinia Bombers